Relationship to Oram family:
James Hockey 1798-1842 married Mary Oram c1813-1888.
- Born: 14 January 1798, Sparkford, Somerset, England
- Parents: James Hockey 1764-1837 and Tabitha Pitts 1765-1838
- Siblings: Emma 1789-?, Robert 1791-1843, Thomas 1793-1852, Amey 1795-? Issac 1800-1871, Tiras 1803-?, Phoeby 1805-?, Mary Ann 1811-1860.
- Half Sibling: Emma from his father’s first marriage to Amey Newport Pearce
- Married: Mary Oram c1813-1888 on 30 Oct 1837 at Weston Bampfylde, Somerset, England
- Offspring: Sarah Ann Hockey 1838-after 1888, William James Hockey 1840-1847, Francis Hockey 1841-1901
- Lived in: Sparkford, Somerset, England
- Died: August 1842 in Sparkford, buried 30 August 1842 in South Cadbury ‘abode Sparkford’, Somerset, England.
All that is known about James’ and his offspring’s lives is included in the entry for his spouse Mary Oram.
Most of the brothers of James Hockey were born in Sparkford and later followed their father’s trade as butchers. Robert 1791-1843 and Isaac 1800-1871 in South Cadbury, William 1803-1886 in Shepton Mallet.
The Hockey family roots
The Hockey line can be traced back to Roger and Robert Hockey who lived in Cucklington, Somerset in the early 1600s. Cucklington is a village about 4 miles east of Wincanton. A genealogical tree starting with John Hockey and Elizabeth Waite, the grandparents of James Hockey 1764-1837 can be seen here.
Map showing locations for Hockey and Oram Families
- James Oram 1774-1837 branch with list of descendants
- James Oram 1774-1837
- Susannah Bartlett 1782-1838