- Born: 1772 at Ditcheat, Somerset baptized 25 Dec 1772
- Parents: Isaac Oram 1745-1802 and Elizabeth Clare 1747-1795
- Married: Mary, probably Mary Coleman c1771-1857 in North Cadbury in 1789.
- Siblings: James Oram 1774 -1839; William 1780- baptised Oarm; Frances Oram 1782- baptised Oarm; Sarah Oram 1785-1860 baptised Oarm; Melior Oram 1788- baptised Oarm
- Offspring: Mary Oram 1790-after 1861, Ann(e) Oram 1792-after 1871, and John Oram 1800-1891 see ‘further offspring?’ in his spouse Mary’s page
- Died: Buried 17 Aug 1802 at Ditcheat, Somerset
John’s spouse and offspring
John’s death record, above, shows that he died when he was 30 years old and there is no sign of him in the 1841 and later censuses. See the pages for his spouse Mary Coleman and his son John Oram 1800-1891 for his family’s history.
Research 1939 – 2000
In the 1960’s we knew little about John’s life. Our uncle Arthur’s notes on his visit to
Ditcheat in 1939 established that our great-great grandfather James born 1774 had a
brother John born 1772. We also knew that a descendant of this John, also called John
was an old man living in Alhampton, Ditcheat at the end of the nineteenth century.
Around about 2000 Carolyn tried to tie up this information with the census returns
starting in 1841 and came up with a tentative family tree later tweaked when images of parish registers came available. But there are two puzzling entries in the parish records. Frances born within 9 months of John’s death in August 1802 and Sarah born six years later; both have parents John and Mary Oram. See John’s spouse Mary’s page