- Born: 1772 at Ditcheat, Somerset baptized 25 Dec 1772
- Parents: Isaac Oram 1745-1802 and Elizabeth Clare 1747-1795
- Married: Mary c1771 – 1857 probably Mary Coleman of North Cadbury who married there following banns first published on 14 December 1789, John Oram of Almsford [Ansford]
- Siblings: James Oram 1774 -1839; William 1780- baptised Oarm; Frances Oram 1782- baptised Oarm; Sarah Oram 1785-1860 baptised Oarm; Melior Oram 1788- baptised Oarm
- Offspring: Mary Oram 1790-after 1861, Ann(e) Oram 1792-after 1871, and John Oram 1800-1891 see ‘further offspring?’ below
- Died: Buried 17 Aug 1802 at Ditcheat, Somerset
See entry for John Oram 1800-1891 for research behind names of above spouse and offspring.
Research 1939 – 2000
In the 1960’s we knew little about John’s life. Our uncle Arthur’s notes on his visit to
Ditcheat in 1939 established that our great-great grandfather James born 1774 had a
brother John born 1772. We also knew that a descendant of this John, also called John
was an old man living in Alhampton, Ditcheat at the end of the nineteenth century.
Around about 2000 Carolyn tried to tie up this information with the census returns
starting in 1841 and came up with a tentative family tree later tweaked when images of parish registers came available. But there are two entries in the parish records that are making us question the date of
death of John born 1772:
Research 2013 – further offspring? that continues to be a question in 2020.
The Ditcheat parish registers shows that John and Mary Oram had five offspring. The first three, Mary, Ann and John are included in this website and their parentage backed up by census returns. Now we have to consider:
Frances born 16 January 1803 and baptised 23 January 1803 who could have been a
posthumously born daughter of John. The Ditcheat registers state that Frances Oram was the offspring of John and Mary. A Frances Oram was tried in Taunton but she was probably born c.1810 and married David Huntley in Australia. A Frances Utley, father’s name ‘unknown Oram’ died in Newtown, NSW on 6 February 1869 and buried in Pioneers Memorial Park, Leichhardt.
Sarah, ‘their’ final child does cause us problems as she was born 31 March 1808 and
baptised 24 April 1808, almost six years after John’s supposed death. Her burial is recorded in Ditcheat in 1847 when age 39 goes with her birth date. Therefore Sarah should be included in the 1841 census. The best fit is 28 year old Sarah Oram servant to William Vincent in Wraxhall, Ditcheat.
So we need to find out if
- John died later, or
- were two John and Mary Orams in Ditcheat
- or was Sarah the bastard daughter of widow Mary, school teacher but the parson chose to legitimise her birth by stating that her parents were John and Mary. Maybe her natural father was called John.
- These are just a few of the possibilities, there could have been two John Orams born in 1772.