Our Kingsley ancestors came from Pirton near Hitchin and it is generally agreed that we are descended from John Kingsley and Mary Furrian who were married there in 1780. During 2017 this was confirmed by DNA test results.
Looking at the other Kingsleys in Pirton who were mentioned in the parish registers before then they were:
- Cath Kingsley married Robert Primett in 1768, the first Kingsley entry in Pirton. Unless this Robert was born in 1714, son of Robert and Elizabeth he was not baptised at Pirton, or at least a record of his baptism at Pirton has not survived. The Primetts were well established in Pirton as the parish registers show them living there by 1614. Robert and Cath(erine) or Katherine had these offspring baptised in Pirton:
- Mary 1769
- Elizabeth 1771
- Ann 1773
- Thomas 1775
- George Peirson 1777
- Mary 1781
- Margaret 1788
There is a record of a Robert Primett, labourer being buried in 1788 in Pirton, but none for Catherine Primett.
- John and Mary who had four offspring baptised in Pirton:
- William b.1762 bpt 7Jan1771
- Edward b.1767 bpt 7Jan1771
- Elizabeth b.1769 bpt 7Jan1771
- Richard 1774
- John and Elizabeth had one child baptised:
- James b.1771 bpt 7Jan1771
- Martha married William Pirkins in 1774 later the registers show baptisms of:
- [Sarah do William and Mary Perkins 1774]
- [Elizabeth do William and Mary Perkins 1776]
- William so William and Martha Perkins 1778
Researchers suggest that the family moved from Sandon or Rushden on the eastern side of Hertfordshire (not Rushden, Northamptonshire). The Rushden records include Kingsleys:
- Jonathan married Elizabeth Crouch on 28 April 1728
- William baptised 1734 daughter of Jonathan
- Sarah baptised 1738 daughter of Jonathan
- Martha baptised 1741 daughter of Jonathan, possibly William Pirkins’ wife, above.
- Elisha and James baptised 1745 sons of Jonathan and Elizabeth
- Catherine baptised 1747 daughter of Jonathan and Elizabeth, a good candidate for Robert Primet’s bride in 1768, above.
But the family’s entries in the available Sandon registers go back to 1668 and include a tantalising Jonathan, son of John and Margaret baptised 29 December 1700.
The question is where is the baptismal record of John Kingsley who married Mary Furrian in 1780? If it has survived.
Mary Furrian’s baptism was probably in Pirton on 23 May 1760, daughter of Thomas and Ruth and sister of Thomas (1755) and Fanny (1772). By then the Furrian family had lived in Pirton for a couple of generations, but no sign Thomas’ baptism in the available records.
Sources:http://www.pirtonhistory.org.uk/data/ , ancestry.co.uk by subscritpion and familysearch by free membership. https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk has a good search by surname facility for Hertfordshire marriages.