NB Snelgrove, sometimes Snellgrove. All below took place in Exeter unless stated.
Bertha Snelgrove 1829- married Thomas Fisher.
Sources: subscription website ancestry.co.uk incudes probate records. Images and transcripts of Devon parish registers and army records available on subscription website findmypast.co.uk
The obvious records take us back to Bertha’s parents James Snelgrove born c. 1792 in Downton, Wiltshire and his wife Anna. The name Hatch was used as a forename for some of their children and grandchildren so the following makes sense, but why 10 years before the first recorded child? Also this suggests that James was born c 1785, but one or both the couple my have been underage.
Marriage? ancestry.co.uk note by AMMurphy57 There was a marriage between Anna Hatch and James Snelgrove on 28 October 1805 at St Andrew, Plymouth, Devon. This record was accessed via findmypast.co.uk. The record set is ‘Devon Marriages’, transcribed by the Devon FHS.
1841 census Rosemary Lane, St Edmund’s parish:
James (50 or 59, Shopman)and Anna (50) with James (20, shopman) John (20, shopman) Bertha (15) Frances (9)
Death Index Anna Snelgrove of Exeter died 1842 Q3 Vol10 page 65. GRO online index: 54 years old.
1851 census states that 68 year old retired ironmonger James was born in Downton, Wiltshire. He is living with unmarried daughter dressmaker Frances.
1861 census widower James a retired ironmonger, with son Thomas
Death Index James Snelgrove of Exeter died 1863 Q2 Vol5b page 75
1871 census a number of the family seemed to be living in Mary Arches Street, see demolition-exeter.blogspot.co.uk
Thomas William Snelgrove bpt 1815 parents James and Hannah died 1874. Married Elizabeth Back 1811-1872 a dress maker born c.1811 Hatherleigh, Devon on 24 March 1837. Cabinet maker in 1861. In 1865 Thomas was imprisoned for two months for “Felony after a previous conviction for felony” (assume same Thomas William Snellgrove)
- Henry Snelgrove 1840-? in 1851 census with mother may have died 1872.
- Hannah “Anna” Hatch Snelgrove 1845-1876 in 1851 census with mother, married Thomas Ridson in 1867. Daughter Ellen Ridson 1868-
- Ancestry tree: Elizabeth Hatch Snelgrove 1849-1913 [1851 census with mother] m Samuel Mitchell 1843-, daughter Amy Maud Mitchell 1884-1967 m Hubert John S Lewis, daughter Marjorie Toland Lewis 1912-1985 m Stanley Kitson 1908-1982, son Roger Kitson. In 1911 census Elizabeth Hatch Mitchell had had 9 children, 5 still alive
- Thomas Snelgrove 1851- on findmypast may have married Emily Gaylard in 1874 who died after daughter Mabel Edith Snelgrove was born.
James Robert Snelgrove bpt 1817 parents James and Hannah with parents in 1841 died 17 January 1846. His grave is in St David’s Church Cemetery.
Kingsland Snelgrove bpt 6 Feb 1820 parents James and Ann died 1875 Newton Abbot 1861 Kingsland Attorney at Law. Married in 1849 Emma Ann Yarde born Chudleigh, Devon abt 1827 probably died Eastbourne 1915, probate £1568, nothing of interest in record. Daughter of Major Hugh Henry Yarde 1773-1842 and his second wife Ann Bond who lived in Chudleigh. 1841: Emma probably at school in Heavitree. Major Yarde in Indian Army, died 1842 pension then paid to Mrs Ann Yarde who died in 1870 executor Kingsland Snelgrove! Plaque to Major and Ann in Chudleigh church. Kingsland’s Probate record “Effects under £1,500. The Will of Kingsland Snelgrove late of Dawlish in the County of Devon who died 24 March 1875 at Hope Cottage Dawlish was proved at Exeter by Bartholomew Charles Gidley of the City of Exeter and Henry Jacobs of Newton Abbot in the said County Gentlemen the Executors.”
- Edith Ann Snelgrove born c.1857 married in 1878 in Newton Abbot clay merchant Ralph Yarde Watts 1854-1878 born Ilsington, Devon. According to 1911 census 2 offspring, both alive. 1881 in Wolbrorough with daughter Juanita Yarde Watts b.1879 and in 1891 also with Lionel Kingsland Watts b.1882.
John Hatch Snelgrove bpt 1822 parents James and Anna died 1895 with parents in 1841. May have married Ann Elizabeth Watts in 1850 in Madras, India, gives father’s name James. Yes, as in 1871 census wife Ann E was born in Madras c. 1835. Elsewhere .. born 1835 to Joseph and Sophia. Their offspring James W born c 1850, Sophia born c1852 and Charles A born c1857 all in India. Census do not say what John did in India until in 1901 Ann is described as an oil vendor’s widow. After returning to Exeter he was a pensioner, labourer and when 68 a newsman while his unmarried son James was a labourer. Their grandson Fredrick A was living with them in 1881 and 1891. Ann died in 1916.
- James did not marry
- Sophia 1855-1935 married brushmaker John Brearley or Brealey in Exeter in 1878 and are with 6 children in 1911.
- Charles Albert 1857-1941, brushmaker married Ellen Adams in 1880. 1911 census Ellen stated that she had 12 children born alive, 6 of whom died. Arthur, Jessie, Florence, William, Ernest, Frederick and twins Beatrice and Gertrude mentioned in censuses.
Bertha Snelgrove c1825-1899 described as a female servant about 15yr in 1841 census.
- Thomas Fisher 1826-1896 see Fisher-Snelgrove page
Frances Snelgrove c1832-1882 Looks as if Frances had an illegitimate daughter Edith born c 1865 and was ‘cast out’ by her family. Interestingly there was a Edith Frances Snellgrove registered in Greenwich, London in 1865 who seems to disappear, but on the census returns she is always born in Exeter. Frances and Edith they were living in Exeter Workhouse at the time of the 1871 census. Frances is there without Edith in 1881.
- no marriage
- Edith 1867-1937(?) 1881 and 1891 census Servant in Exeter; 1901 servant in Dunchideock, Devon; 1911 cook and servant in Exmouth (Littleham parish)